Free Standard Delivery Over £50!

Over 27,000 Reviews ☆☆☆☆☆

Shop New Arrivals

BBQ Tomahawk Steak cooked


An electric or gas BBQ may take up to 20 minutes to preheat and a charcoal BBQ needs to be heated until the coals are covered with a layer of white ash (approx. 30 minutes).

Using a chimney starter to fire the coals up works really well, creating a good even heat source before placing on the grill. If adding additional smoke flavour to the steak add a handful of soaked wood chips to the coals at the point when there fully fired up.

For best results, treat the meat your grilling outdoors with the same respect as when you cook in your kitchen. Allow the meat to come to room temperature for at least 20 minutes. Brush the meat very lightly with oil. This helps the searing process and prevents sticking, too much oil will burn & leave a nasty taste.

Careful seasoning is necessary. The meat could be marinated beforehand or sprinkled with herbs and pepper. Season with salt at the very last moment only, as salt will draw out juices and prevent the meat from browning properly. My personal preference is good quality sea salt & freshly cracked Tellicherry black pepper, it's simple & highlights the quality of the steak.

Direct Heat Method

Cook your steaks nice and steady until rich, aromatic and browned, and then turn just once using the 'direct heat' method. Use long handled tongs rather than a fork to move the steak, a fork will pierce the meat and allow valuable juices to escape.

It's all too easy to overcook on a barbecue, leading to charred, leathery, dry meat which we don't want. Excessive flames turn oil & fats to carbon, leaving a acrid taste from the meat. To ensure even cooking use the 60/40 method. Cook the meat for 60% of the time on the first side, then turn and cook for the remaining 40%.If the grill flares remove the steak to the cool zone for a few seconds then return to the direct heat zone.

Setting up the BBQ for Direct Heat

  1. Choose lump charcoal for a superior flavour, it's a little harder to manage than briquettes but the flavour is worth the effort.
  2. Place into the chimney starter & light using a fire starter or even some scrunched up paper, when the coals are white hot transfer to the grill & cover approximately ¾ of the base leaving a space for a cool zone
  3. Place the lid on then open all vents fully to create a fierce heat (230°c to 250°c)
  4. If your using wood chips to add extra smoke flavour, this is the point to add the soaked chippings to the fire then leave to burn for a while
  5. After a few minutes your ready to start grilling, remember to lower the temperature simply close the air vents a little

Method for Cooking Tomahawk Steak on the Barbecue

  1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (230°c to 250°c)
  2. Remove your steak from the fridge 30 minutes or before grilling to come to room temperature
  3. Season liberally with sea salt & cracked pepper just before grilling
  4. Grill the steak over using the 'direct heat' method, placing the meat directly above the burning coals
  5. With the lid closed, cook to your desired doneness, 7 to 8 minutes for medium rare, turning once after the initial 3-4 minutes. If the steak is getting too charred move to the cool zone & place the lid back on, this will continue to cook the steak without burning
  6. If using a probe you want to be looking for a internal temperature of 52°c to 54°c for medium rare
  7. Remove from the grill and let rest in a warm place for minimum 5 minutes before serving