Method for The Beef
Sear the beef all over in a very hot frying pan for 2-3 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper until a rich colour has formed then remove from the pan and chill.
Method for The Wellington
1. Pre heat the oven to 180c fan assisted or 200c without a fan (gas mark 6).
2. On a sheet of greaseproof paper 25cm x 30cm lay the ham lengthways to cover the paper.
3. Spread a thin layer of duxelle over the ham then place the beef furthest away from you towards the top leaving a 10cm gap then using the paper roll into a cylinder & chill.
4. Lay out the first sheet of pasty onto a cold work surface & cut a piece 15cm wide from the longest part & reserve for the lattice.
5. Brush the pastry with egg wash & sit the beef parcel in the centre.
6. Take the second sheet of pastry & lay over the beef parcel gently sealing the edges, trim away, excess pastry then using a fork crimp all the edges to seal then glaze with egg wash ready to place the lattice over.
7. With the 15cm reserved strip of pastry using a lattice cutter score the pastry then carefully lay over pastry & brush again with egg wash & chill.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes, reaching a core temperature of 45c before removing & resting for medium-rare beef.
9. Rest for 15-20 minutes on a wire-cooling tray before carving into slices approximately 5cm thick.
10. For the sauce bring to the boil in a saucepan, simmer for 3-4 minutes then whisk in the cold diced butter, this will enrichen the sauce & give it a great shine & body.
Serve this with a classic gratin dauphinoise, glazed carrots and a rich red wine sauce.
How To Make Lamb Shank Hotpot Pie (Shortcrust)
How To Make Lamb Shank Hotpot Pie (Hot Water Crust)
How To Make Scotch Whisky-Glazed Haggis Meatloaf With Big Mac Sauce, Neeps & Tatties
How To Cook One Pan Chicken Breast With Butter Beans, Bell Peppers & Parmesan
How To Cook Wild Venison ‘Tataki’ with Blueberries, Radish & Ginger
How To Cook Poached Chicken Fillet With Coconut & Fragrant Green Curry
How To Cook Black Bean & Hoisin Glazed Pork Skewers
How To Cook Harissa-Baked Heritage Lamb Steak and Chickpeas With The Yorkshire Gourmet
How To Make Duck Confit
How To Make Heritage Carrots Wrapped In Pancetta
How To Make Red Cabbage With Fennel & Apple
How To Make Celeriac, Potato & Swiss Cheese Gratin