For the Toad in the Hole:
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan).
- Put the sausages in a 23cm round cake tin with the vegetable oil and roast for 15 mins turning halfway through.
- Take the sausages out of the oven, turning it off and when the sausages are cool enough to handle, halve them lengthwise. Return the halved sausages to the tin, alongside the beef dripping and set aside while you prepare the batter and the caramelised onion gravy.
- To make the batter, mix ﬂour, salt, pepper and thyme leaves in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, add the mustard, eggs and milk and whisk until aerated and smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, pre-heat the oven again (220°C – 200°C fan).
- Put the tin with the sausages and beef dripping in the pre-heated oven for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Carefully remove the tin from the oven and pour the batter over the hot sausages and beef dripping.
- Return the tin to the oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown on top, without opening the oven door.
- Serve immediately with lashes of the caramelised onion gravy poured over.
For the Caramelised Onion Gravy
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and sugar and cook for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the red wine and herbs, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard a pinch of salt and a few twists of black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove the herbs springs and discard.
- Add the vinegar, whisk in the dissolved cornflour and simmer for another minute or until thickened, whisking all the time.
- Add the cold butter and whisk until dissolved.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
Follow the Lia Teixeira for more fantastic recipes, and don’t forget to tag @lialemonandvanilla and @farmisonuk for the chance to be featured on our social media.
To help you create this dish and many more, view our Venison on the Farmison & Co. site.