Method to cure the Pork Belly Steak
- Blend the dry cure ingredients together
- Rub on to pork, cover with film & marinate overnight in the fridge
- The next day rinse away the marinade & pat dry
Method for the beans
- While the pork is marinading, soak the beans overnight
- The next day, drain and rinse
- Put in a large pan and cover with fresh water & bring to the boil, skim off the scum that rises to the top, then turn down the heat and simmer until just tender, for approx. 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, gently fry the garlic over low heat with a little fat or oil then add the celery & carrots and cook until soft & sweet for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, treacle and ketchup and mix together well then simmer until rich sauce consistency for 10-15 minutes
- Add 200 ml water & puree until smooth.
- Mix the corn flour to a paste with a little water, then whisk into the simmering sauce
- Season to taste then add the beans and simmer gently for a further 10 minutes
- Keep warm ready to serve or chill for up to 3 days
Method to cook the Pork Belly Steak
- Once the pork has been marinaded overnight, preheat a griddle or heavy based frying pan until it sizzles when you add a drop of oil
- Massage with a little light olive or rapeseed oil, creating a very thin layer over the meat then cook 3-4 minutes each side over high heat turning the steaks only once until charred then reduce heat to medium to continue cooking
- The pork should be firm to touch with a little spring back when pressed with your thumb (core temperature of 65 °C) then leave to rest for a few minutes
Serve with the home style baked beans.