Christmas ham is a must have during the festive period. With irresistible texture and rich flavour our Christmas hams make for the perfect festive dinner spread, Boxing Day sandwiches or a fabulous festive buffet. Learn how to make the perfect Treacle Glazed Ham with our free-range Christmas gammon
- Cover the joint in fresh cold water and bring to a simmer, skimming away any white impurities that rise to the surface.
- Add the mirepoix and simmer until easily pierced with a skewer (approximately 3 hours).
- Leave to cool a little (this can take a couple of hours or overnight), then remove the joint, carefully remove the strings and carefully peel back the skin from the surface leaving the fat intact.
- Score the fat in criss cross fashion ready for glazing.
Method to glaze:
- Preheat your oven to 210°C for fan assisted or 230°C for ovens without a fan (gas 8).
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients in a pan over a low heat to combine.
- Place the joint on a wire trivet in the roasting tray and liberally brush the glaze over the cooked joint to fully cover.
- Stud each cross of fat with a clove for additional flavour.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then remove and brush again with more glaze, place back in oven and keep baking until dark and sticky being careful the sugars in the glaze don’t burn. Reglaze once more with the glaze in the pan then bake for final few minutes.
- Remove and leave to cool.
- Hot slices with pickled red cabbage, mashed potatoes and English mustard, or cold as part of your boxing day buffet and traditional sandwiches.