The classic Italian family dish. A favourite with adults and children alike.
Buy the products
- 1kg Minced beef steak (I used Selected Hereford Native Breed)
- 1 x Onion finely diced
- 3 x Generous slugs of olive oil;- 1 for the meatballs , 1 to brown them and 1 for the sauce!
- 4 x Cloves garlic finely sliced , 2 for the meatballs and 2 for the sauce
- 20g Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 x Egg, beaten
- 4 x Tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 Level tsp sugar
- A handful of freshly torn basil
- Seasoning to taste
- Add a slug of olive oil to pan and saute onion on moderate heat for 5-10 mins until softened.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for 1-2 mins. Turn off heat.
- Add minced beef steak to large bowl and fork through.
- Add freshly grated parmesan, cooked onion and garlic along with beaten egg.
- Mix through. (clean hands are best for this)
- Place meat mixture in fridge to chill for 10-15 mins.
- Meanwhile add another glug of olive to good sized pan on moderate heat and add garlic for 1-2 mins.
- Then add tins of chopped tomato and sugar.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 – 10 mins.
- Turn off heat and whizz to make smooth sauce using hand blender.
- Season to taste and add fresh basil. (You may have to add a touch more sugar at this stage if the sauce is a little bitter)
- Set aside.
- Remove meatball mixture from fridge and using clean hands form into bitesize spheres.
- Add 3rd slug of oil to shallow pan and brown meatballs all over on a moderate heat. This should only take a minute or so but it is best to do in batches.
- Place meatballs in ovenable dish and cover with tomato sauce.
- Cook on the middle shelf of the oven at 180C, Gas 4 for 30-35 mins.
- Serve with fresh spaghetti and green salad.
Gaynor’s Tip: These are a great crowd pleaser with kids and adults alike. They can easily be made the day before. The recipe for the sauce was given to me by a friend from Naples who regularly makes it for her children.
Source: Resident Food Farmison Blogger Gaynor Mairs