Nothing beats a simple risotto on a summer’s evening. This asparagus version is made with fish stock for a rich flavour that needs little else - but you can toss in cooked prawns or slivers of smoked salmon for a fuller meal.
- 1 Bunch asparagus
- 2 Cups arborio risotto rice
- 25g Butter
- 500g Fish stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 Glass white wine
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Pinch of saffron threads
- Olive oil
- Shaved or grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Half a lemon
- Preheat the oven grill.
- Trim the asparagus and brush with olive oil.
- Grill for 3-5 minutes.
- Leave aside to cool, then cut into bite size lengths, leaving some whole.
- In a deep saucepan, soften the onion in butter until translucent.
- Add the risotto rice and stir until it’s absorbed the butter.
- Add the saffron threads.
- Ladle by ladle, add in the fish stock and the white wine until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the risotto with shavings of Parmigiano, a squeeze of lemon and a few long, uncut asparagus stems placed on top.