Chilled tiramisu is one of the loveliest desserts to enjoy on a summer’s day, and the addition of balsamic roasted strawberries and an almond base will satisfy sweet teeth all round.
- 200g strawberries
- 250g mascarpone
- 200ml espresso at room temperature
- 12 amaretti biscuits
- 1 egg yolk and 1 egg white, separated
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Remove the leaves from the strawberries and cut into quarters. Combine with the honey and balsamic vinegar, mixing well in an ovenproof bowl, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Whisk together the egg yolk, caster sugar and mascarpone with a splash of the espresso.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff peaks start to form. Gently fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Prepare the amaretti biscuits by soaking in the remainder of the espresso until soft.
- To create one individual tiramisu serving, press three amaretti into the bottom of a dessert glass, such as a martini glass or water tumbler.
- Layer on a couple of spoonfuls of the mascarpone mixture, and top off with the roasted strawberries. Alternatively, serve the whole dessert in a shallow, wide-bottomed dish.
Tip: For an extra garnish, shave some dark or white chocolate on top of each tiramisu using a vegetable peeler.