This homemade pie is real southern comfort food and a thanksgiving classic.
- pastry Ingredients:
- 225g Plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100g Cold butter cut into pieces
- Cold water
- pie filling Ingredients:
- 450g Sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8s and boiled
- 110g Dark brown sugar
- ½tsp Ground cinnamon
- 4 x Eggs
- 165ml Evaporated milk
- 15g Butter melted and slightly cooled
- You will also need a 22cm loose bottomed fluted tart tin which has been lightly greased, some greaseproof paper and baking beans.
- Add flour and salt to food processor followed by butter and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Tip mixture into a bowl and add a little cold water, just enough to bring dough mixture together in a ball
- Cover with cling film and chill for approx. 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 190C, Gas 5
- Roll out pastry onto floured surface and line tart tin
- Prick the base of the pastry lightly all over with a fork and bake blind for 15 mins
- Remove beans and paper and return to oven for 5 mins
- Remove pastry from oven, set aside and reduce temperature to 180C, Gas 4
- Puree cooked sweet potatoes in food processor and add brown sugar and cinnamon
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and evaporated milk together
- Blend egg and cream mixture and add cooled melted butter with sweet potato, brown sugar and cinnamon mixture
- When blended thoroughly, add mixture to par baked pastry and bake for approximately 45 mins until browned, risen and cooked through
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before cutting.
Gaynor’s Tip: Although traditionally served at festive times, this pie is delicious all year round. Try garnishing with toasted pine nuts and serving with a dollop of freshly whipped cream as a treat.