- Ingredients for rough puff pastry
- 250g/9oz plain flour
- 250g/9oz very cold butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ tsp salt
- 125ml/4½floz ice-cold water
- Ingredients for tart
- 250g/9oz caster sugar
- 75ml/3floz water
- 250g/9oz ground almonds
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 8 plums, cut into fine slices
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 500g/1lb2oz vanilla ice cream
- Ingredients for star anise caramel
- 110g/4oz white caster sugar
- 2 star anise
- 110g/4oz butter
- 175ml/6floz double cream
Method for rough puff pastry
- Put the flour in a mound on the work surface and make a well.
- Place the butter and salt in the well and work them together with the fingertips of one hand, gradually drawing the flour into the centre with the other hand.
- When the cubes of butter have become small pieces and the dough is grainy, gradually add the iced water and mix until it is all incorporated, but don’t overwork the dough.
- Roll it into a ball, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Flour the work surface and roll out the pastry into a 40 x 20cm rectangle.
- Fold it into three and give it a quarter-turn.
- Roll the block of pastry into a 40 x 20cm rectangle as before, and fold it into three again.
- These are the first 2 turns – wrap the block in cling film and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Give the chilled pastry another 2 turns, rolling and folding as before.
- This makes a total of 4 turns, and the pastry is now ready.
- Wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
Method for tart
- Place the sugar and water into a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Place a sugar thermometer into the pan and cook until soft ball stage – 110C/220F.
- Place the ground almonds into a bowl along with the egg white and almond extract.
- Pour on the sugar syrup and mix vigorously to form a thick paste.
- Place into the fridge to set up.
- Preheat the oven to 210C/425F/Gas 7.
- Roll the puff pastry to 3-4mm thick then cut out 4 x 12cm circles and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Score the centre of the pastry with a knife then brush with egg wash.
- Roll the marzipan out to 5mm thick and cut into 4 x 11cm circles and place in the centre of the pastry.
- Cover over with the plum slices, in a tightly overlapped circle.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until the pastry is risen and golden.
Method for star anise caramel
- Place the sugar and star anise into a frying pan and cook until the sugar has liquefied and is golden brown.
- Whisk in the butter and double cream and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until just thickened then pass through a fine sieve into a clean pan.
- Place the tart in the centre of the plate and spoon the sauce around the edge.
- Finish with a spoonful of ice cream in the centre of the tart.