Serve with fresh spinach or greens, new potatoes or gnocci.
- 400/500g diced Lamb
- 25g plain flour
- 2 table spoons Olive oil
- 3 x onions peeled and roughly chopped
- 100ml red wine or port
- 4 x cloves garlic peeled and roughly sliced
- 4 x carrots peeled and diced
- 2 x sticks celery diced
- 6 x sprigs thyme and a bay leaf
- 1l of good lamb or beef stock
- 200g of raw and roughly diced new potatoes
- Or 200g gnocci
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat an oven to 160 C or gas mark 3.
- Dust the lamb with flour and seasoning-
- Then sear the lamb in the olive in a oven ready casserole or pot.
- Add onions, carrots, garlic and celery and sweat for 20 mins on a medium heat.
- Add the wine then reduce by half.
- Add the stock and herbs
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 2 hours in the oven
- Remove and add diced new potatoes then return to the oven for 1 hour or until the potatoes and lamb are tender.
- If you use gnocci – blanch in boiling water and add to the lamb casserole once cooked.
Source: My collection – Jeff Baker – J Bakers Bistro Moderne